Monday, July 25, 2011

Having a son is a money saver....for me!

When the two blue strips appeared on the test pack, I immediately imagine a little girl inside my tummy, even after my "usually can feel and right in the end" husband told me that is going to be a boy, I still told people and myself that I would like the baby to be a girl. And of course my mum, who already have a grandson from my brother also helped me in my prayer.

The reason that I wanted a girl: because I want to shower her with all the cute little things that they sell and made for girls, that was not available when I was growing up. When I was a small girl myself, the choices for clothing and accessories for us was really limited. And if your mom or one of your family member couldn't sew, though luck! In this case, I am really lucky, my mum, the superwoman, is a genius when it comes into making clothes for her family. I can bring a magazine picture or show her what my idol was wearing on the TV, and she would replicate them so well that you would think my mum was the original creative designer of the clothes on the magazine. But that of course have it's limit. First of all, as genius as mum is, there are plenty of things she can't make such as jeans, and not mentioning how busy she is, with 4 kids, a house to run, a business to manage. So ultimately I have to wait for weddings, new years, birthdays and big events to happen before I can have new cloth.

These days all you have to do is walk into a children clothing shops and you can buy anything clothing style for your baby, and if you ever decided to make a twin style for you and your baby, that's not hard to do also. I used to walk into Next Kids, H&M juniors, Mothercare and itching to buy girl's cute summer dresses, jackets, shorts, pants, t-shirts....the thing is I don't have anybody that I can buy for. My brother, cousins and my best friends, for some reasons they all decided to have boys. I was so happy when the daughter of one of the teacher I worked with was celebrating her 4th birthday, I finally got a reason to buy one of those cute dresses for her. 

I was a bit down I found out that I was having a boy. But when 3rd trimester started rolling, and not only begun to fall in love more and more with my baby, I realized what a blessing for me, the shopaholic, to have a boy instead a girl. I begun imagining me running around malls buying all the cute dresses that probably be worn 2x before she will grow out of them, hoarding cute berets, headbands and accessories that she probably wore once and lost them or worse yet hate them. And not only I saved money from future spending, I also save money because my nephew's baby clothes are handed down to me.

As I observed two of my brothers, another revelation came to me. Boys for the most part for go the need to beautify themselves, example: my brothers still wear their high school gym tee, eventhough my youngest bro left high school 5 yrs ago, and the other left it 10yrs ago. The tee is pretty bad shape, but they don't care, as long is still comfortable. My sister and me on the other hand, have tons of clothes but everytime we open our closet we said the same thing, "we don't have anything to wear". And that only on the clothing department, let also see the different in toiletries, for us girls, shower means we use the best smelling soap the shop has to offer, the smoothest shampoo on earth, the silkest conditioner we can find, and that just to name the few things we use daily, boys in the other hand, for the most part the can live with a bar of soap to clean for head to toe. Reflecting on this, I am more grateful for a boy. And please don;t get me started on the double standard our (meaning asian) society put on girls.

What if my second child is a girl (if I decided to have another one! :D ), than what do I do, you might asked. Well........we'll cross the bridge when the time come!

No comments:

Post a Comment